Monday, April 03, 2006

Day one

3 April 2006

This is day one in what to become many days to follow. It would seem so easy to just get on an empty tablet and start writing, but I see that it is not as easy as I had first thought. I suppose I can start with a little background. I have been in the Army for a little over 13 years, have been married for going on 10 years, and have three wonderful boys.

I start by saying this because I want it to be understood, that after spending 15 months in Iraq, my family comes first in my life. I will never again put them in the backfield of my life. When I reported for my first day of recruiting, I told my commander, first sergeant, and station commander, " I am not a person that accepts failure. I do not intend to be a failure. However, if I never in these 3 years put anyone in the Army, at the end of the day I will still be a staff NCO in the Army, and I will still be a good father and husband." I was not saying that to start off on the wrong foot. I merely wanted them to understand that this job, albeit important, was not going to define me whatsoever. My family defines me, and I will take advantage of any moment I can to be with them.

It has been almost 4 months since being in this job, and I have to date put 4 people in. it is not a staggering number, but after looking at some of my fellow new recruiters, I am doing leaps and bounds better than they are. So the stress of being the worst is off my shoulders. I do enjoy what I am doing. Talking about the Army, what I had done while I was deployed, why I love being in the Army, the benefits that my family has procured being an Army family is what I can do naturally.

This job however, is a numbers game. I have never been good with numbers, that is why my wife handles the bills and the paycheck for the household. It never matters what you have done yesterday, it is what you have done today. You made mission yesterday and it is the fourth day of that recruiting month. Like Janet Jackson once said"What have you done for me lately?" It does begin to frustrate you when you hear that constantly.

Well its off to home I go. Today is another day of numbers and talking with possible recruits. Her's to another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home