Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Shock and Awe

Thats what I am feeling right about now. It is amazing to many how many people are in this country and feel so vehemently against our Armed Forces. I have started to look at some counter recruiting blogs and web sites. The things these people have done to fellow recruiters is apalling to say the least. Have we forgotten that even though we are soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, we are first and foremost AMERICAN?!?!?!?

They treat us as if we do not even belong in this country. To that I say how dare you. You who sit on the sidelines, never lifting a finger, and dare to treat us this way. Is it your right to disagree and protest? Indeed, that is what I have sworn to uphold an defend for you. Is it your right to call us liars, and baby killers? I dont know...is it my right to call you an unfit mother or father without ever even knowing you? Is it my right to call you a whore or a tramp just by looking at how you dress or act? Probably not. But wouldnt it be fair if I did those things? I feel like I might be justified in saying that.

Why in todays society, where we have droves of people saying, peace is the answer, turn around and scream and yell vicsious things at a man or woman who is just doing their job?Some of us did not even ask to do this job. I love my job and I love the Army. I am proud to serve for a nation of free people. Like Toby Keith said in a song"I dont want to die for you, but if dyings asked of me; Ill bear that cross with honor, cause freedom dont come free."

I know I am going on and on about this but it just sickens to me to thinkat what we have become to treat our fellow Americans this way. If you do not wish to join, that is fine and I respect that. This job is not for everyone, and I will never say otherwise. It needs to be understood that there is a need for every job we have here in this country. From the lawyer, to the fast food person, to the garbage collector, to yes, even the soldier. Instead of crapping on them for their decision to what they felt was the right answer for them, respect it, and move on. I would rather you never said anything to me at all, than to turn around and spit in my face. Because truth be told, you are not just spitting on me, you doing so to my entire family. To my wife, who chose to marry an Army soldier, and take the long hours, and days of not seeing each other. To my children, that were born into an Army family. You are telling them that they are nothing too. So beforeyou go and spit on me, stop and think of how many other lives you are affecting as well. Respect runs both ways. Until you learn that, you will have a long lonely life ahead.

2 Comments:

Blogger SSG N said...

I know that this is an old post for you, but I read it for the first time. It seemed like you were sitting in my head...I don't get it either why they treat us this way, but I do know that each and every soldier that we put in, every life we change, for that one moment when they get off the shuttle with that huge dopey grin, makes it worth it, at least for me.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Sholom said...

Did you really quote Toby "insert-footgear-into-anal-orifice" Keith?
I hated that song when it came out. I hate it when bigmouths who have never served a day pretend to speak for the troops.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home